Monday, January 21, 2019

Welcome MAPR/Pro Practices, SP2019 (EDITED!)

Hey everyone. It looks like not everyone has accepted the email invite (sent to your gmail) to post to the blog – if you didn't receive the invitation, don't sweat it, we'll sort it out in class. And rather than posting the blog, if you can't do that, just type and print you answers to the questions so I can have a physical copy tomorrow. Thanks!

By Thursday's class, you will need to make a post to this blog (which you will be contributing to over the course of the semester, tracking your progress as you work toward MAPR or your BFA show). You need to have at least one post on the blog, answering the following three questions:

1. Why do you make art?

2. What is the function or role of an artist in today's culture? (This is your personal take on this, it doesn't have to be an "objective" or comprehensive analysis)

3. Who are three working artists you can think of, who you might contact to interview about their professional lives? You will only be contacting one, but I want you to have a couple fallback options if your first couple choices end up being unavailable.

ALSO: PLEASE ASSEMBLE A POWERPOINT OR A FOLDER OF IMAGES OF YOUR RECENT WORK. We'll begin giving presentations of our current work, and floating ideas about your coming exhibitions, starting next class. Have at least three words that give you a container for thinking about/talking about your work – the don't have to be "fancy" words, they could be like some of the words Murgida uses, below – PRESSURE – MANIPULATION – SAFETY. Also, have at least one example of an artist who has influenced you, with an example of their work that you can show.

Here is a video we'll watch today:







And if you'd like a digital copy of today's handout, "Ways of Being a Working Artist," you can download it here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9f7ix1v2s43sme/ways-of-being-an-artist-2016.rtf?dl=0

2 comments:

  1. 1. I make art because I enjoy working with my hands. Art, along with a few other things, really helps relieve my anxiety and stress. I enjoy art because there are few rules and most can be broken anyways. I like the freedom art provides and I like the satisfaction of finishing something I started.

    2. I think artists play an incredibly important role in today's culture. Trends in music, fashion, food, architecture, and cars are all influenced by artists. I believe in order to be a truly successful business person you need to be creative and I think artists have the advantage for problem solving new creative ideas.

    3. The working artists I could contact for an interview are Helio Bray 1, DOES, Jamie Lynn, Curt Hammerly

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1.Why do you make art?

    I’m not sure, I personally enjoy the craftsmanship of art and visual production, however the images I have in my head have not always been there but develop as distortions of the reality that I exist in and I have always thought of it a bit like trench warfare, sometimes the images advance, and sometimes I can beat them back by giving them a life on paper.

    2. What is the function or role of an artist in today's culture? (This is your personal take on this, it doesn't have to be an "objective" or comprehensive analysis)

    That all depends on how we define art, is art not simply the mastery of a task? Are we not society’s mirror and conscience, artists elevate society as well as keep it accountable for the both good and bad. Think of the newscaster as a performance artist of the current age, what would we know about the surrounding world without them?

    3. Who are three working artists you can think of, who you might contact to interview about their professional lives?

    -Kim Jung Gi (South Korea, Draftsman)

    -Aaron Draplin (Portland, Graphic Designer)

    -Mirko Reisser DAIM (Germany, Interdisciplinary Artist)

    -Tiago Hoisel (Brazil, Concept Illustrator)

    ReplyDelete