Saturday, May 10, 2014

annie mac 5-year plan

AnnieMac 5-YEAR PLAN

INTRO (required)
This year:
Graduate SNC with a Bachelor in Fine Arts, Concentration in Digital Media
Move w Yan Northwest in December after my last semester and BFA show
Come back and walk like a boss for graduation in May
Land job in northwest area using at least one aspect of my art – graphics,photo, anything! OR…start                applying for grad school because Annie can’t get a job
Get a Golden Retriever and a Boston Terrier
Never stop expanding my art practice

Five years from now:
I would like to be somewhere where it snows in five years.
I want a job that allows me the flexibility and finance to travel.
I want to be working doing the things I have learned while I’ve been here at SNC and the things I love.
I would like to be contributing to and working in the fashion industry, whether it is involved with snowboarding or not.
                  I think there is such a wide variety of what I can do as an artist. High aspirations for high fashion       and runway always cause stars in my eyes.
                  My little dream to be a major player in the fashion industry will drive much of what I do.

I hope to work with photo, video, and apparel production.
I want to have a fully functioning and successful apparel company and it may even stay as simple as just hoods and mittens with the possibility of incorporating hoodies.
I would be okay with it being a small boutique line.
                  I need to finalize and perfect my patterns and find some good textile sources to work with.

I also am very interested in participating in some shows and submitting my work to galleries.
I want to see what happens with the big little guys I will make for my BFA but they are so foreign to me at this point that I can’t place them somewhere five years from now.
I just know that I want to be participating in the fine art and fashion community.

I have also seen myself working with a few companies as a graphic designer or art/content contributor.
The things that comes to mind when I think of what I need to do this is:
                  Skill
                  Portfolio
                  Connections
                  Successfully branding myself

As of now, I see myself still living on the west coast of the US but there is a very real possibility of moving over seas by that time as well since my family is overseas.
                  Having dual citizenship, I have the opportunity to live and work anywhere in Western Europe with      ease so it has always been an option that hangs out in the back of my head.

I expect to do a lot of traveling in the next five years.

I would like to be a visual artist/designer with the ability and option to work with a lot of different mediums, using mostly the favorites I listed above.

GRADUATE SCHOOL (optional - only if you are intending to apply for graduate school)
I have thought of grad school quite a bit and actually looked into University of British Columbia in Vancouver.                  I will be visiting the school in the next year and have spoken with a few people over there as well.   However, the cost is major player in what I decide to do because having spent the past five years at                  SNC scraping by financially, I just don’t know if I can do it for another two to four years.

The grad school idea is benched until I have room in my head to consider it again.

VENUES/CONTESTS  (required)
In the next three years I will have shows at bars and coffee shops and wherever I can get my work into.
I plan on entering everything I can, submitting to everything I can.
                  I haven’t so far because I just haven’t felt like Ive had a body of work that was worthy to be making a fuss about – which is definitely a thought that I hope to kick in the next month…I know its                  happening, I think differently about my work already and feel better about it whenever I create.

                  Coffee Bar, Truckee
                  Northwest venues
                  Overseas submissions

I think the work I submit to shows will be varying from photos/stop-motion edits, little guys/big guys, and apparel.
                  At least that is what I see for now.
                  I hold atmosphere very close to my work and it is a huge part, if not the most important part, of my    work so I will hold the shows where I will be able to create the atmosphere I am going for.

I’d like to do be doing some fashion photography and I have high hopes to have my photography and apparel to be featured on blogs like FreePeople and be working with a fashion magazine as a photographer/contributer.

One thing I know I need to be more active with starting immediately is submitting my work to anything and everything. I have to build an audience for my work.

EMPLOYMENT/SELF-EMPLOYMENT/INTERNSHIPS (required)
My plan for employment starting after college is to apply to anything and everything, only allowing location to restrict me and even then the radius will be large: west coast for now.
I would like to be working in the industry I have come to accustom to living in: snow sports. I would be nice to get a job within that realm as I feel I am most familiar with that sort of content and style. However, the little guys have shown me there is this whole other direction I could go…but I am just not sure about it yet. Style is something I want to work with and the style I like exists in the snowboard industry; apparel-wise, photo, vibe, etc.
Jobs I have thought about are:
                  apparel production – which would be self-employed so I would need to have another source of income that also allows me the time.
                  Fashion photographer – duh.
                  Graphic design – for any company really. The work may be boring but I see a job like this as a good source of income with good flexibility.

GRANTS/RESIDENCIES/SALES PLATFORMS (required)
Anderson Ranch
Resartis.com – Norway, mexico, france


No comments:

Post a Comment