Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My interview by Bianca

Bianca: Are all your poems/pieces referencing something personal or some experience that you or a loved one went through?
Lexy: Yeah, all of my poems are about a moment that I have personally been through and that I have experienced. It's moments that I feel that other people have gone through and not talked about so its speaking to women universally. Being abused or watching a loved one die. They are all very personal, all about specific moments and specific people, but speak to women in general.
Bianca: What kind of feeling do you expect your audience to feel when they read your poems? Men and Women.
Lexy: I think when people in general read them they are going to feel sympathetic or sad. I think women are going to feel more sympathetic and feel more connected to it, like they have been in that moment. They have gone through a break up similar. I don't know how men are going to feel about it, I hope they just don't dismiss it. I hope they can connect to it in some way, or put themselves into the view. I hope they read them and understand them, and feel some kind of sadness, but some kind of realism. I hope everyone gets a sense of realism. 
Bianca: Same feeling for the entire show?
Lexy: Yes, I am making those balloons cause my show title is Parallel Figures, White Flags, so I am using my balloons and lipsticks as a surrendering. You know when you let go of a balloon, or when someone dies, you are letting go of that moment, but that moment never really goes away. You never really forget it. Especially with the balloons that I'm making, they will never actually leave that room; they will never be able to fly. I am creating this fake sense of surrender. I am surrendering all this to my audience, but it's never actually going away. It can't go anywhere; it can't leave that space.
Bianca: I notice that you have a few key words that you want to repeat in each poem, is that direct choice or is it just happenstance?
Lexy: For the most part they are happy accidents, or they would be similar words, synonyms of each other. So you would still get that same feeling. I would either make them the same word or change them so they have the same meaning. It would be an easy transition from one poem to the next. 
Bianca: Do you plan to explain any of your poems in depth during your show or do you want that mystery?
Lexy: I am still trying to decide, I kind of want the mystery, but I feel that I am going to get questions about specific poems. So I don't mind explaining them, but I will go about it by saying, "Oh, I had a situation similar to this", not just saying, "Oh, this happened." 
Bianca: You don't want the actual incident revealed, you want the feeling revealed? 
Lexy: Yes, exactly.  So then people can take from it that these moments happen everywhere. If people ask me, I am going to kind of shy away from it, but I'll probably talk about it a little bit. 
Bianca: With your make-up, is it referencing all females wearing masks or is it in correlation with one of your poems?
Lexy: It is referencing every woman, but it started out super personal, I wear make up to cover my flaws, which can be taken metaphorical or physical. But once I started getting make-up donated to me, I would take someone's make-up and do a make-up painting just of their make-up, so it represented them. It's representing me, it's representing the people that gave me the make-up and then just women as a whole. In society, it's what we do to ourselves; we hide ourselves.
Bianca: Do you think your poetry is more traditional or more slam poetry? I think of them separately.
Lexy: I think it's a mix of both. 
Bianca: Would you perform them?
Lexy: I would, the problem is, I write short poetry, and usually slam poetry is long. I would perform them and give it a certain "mff". I think it really could go either way.
Bianca: When I read them personally, and when you read one of them aloud, I always get a sense of falling, each word is falling into the next line. Is that on purpose?
Lexy: Yes, that's definitely on purpose, I choose my line breaks super carefully. When I was going into my show, I was thinking about residue, that residue that is left over from moments, because they can be done and gone, but it's always still there. It's always still in you and affecting you. I wanted it to read like it is falling into the next line, leaving it's residue. Like a moment, each line is very specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment